Pruning Fruit Trees
Annual maintenance pruning, especially on fruit trees, will open the canopy, and prevent crowding and branches from impacting each other. This will allow better air circulation and sunlight penetration, reduce disease problems and often result in a better yield of higher-quality fruit.
Annual maintenance pruning also reduces another concern for the homeowner: branch shedding. Some species, such as cottonwood (Populus deltoides), are notorious for branch drop, but most species are prone to it when competition for light is intense. Branches that do not produce enough carbohydrate from photosynthesis to maintain themselves will die and eventually fall from the tree. Where the break is clean, wound wood or callus is formed, preventing rot; where the break is a tear or rip from high winds or heavy rain, the wound seldom heals properly, shortening the tree’s useful life. Annual maintenance pruning can identify those branches that may be prone to breakage, permitting proper removal. .
Most deciduous trees have spherical or decurrent crowns with many lateral branches that may compete for apical dominance. If two branches are competing for dominance (co-dominance), the result often is a weak union between the two. That means the tree likely will tear apart in the future. Remove the weaker of the two branches when it still is small and can be removed with a hand pruner or lopper to assure a single dominant stem.
Professional Deep Root Feedings
What is deep root feeding?
Deep root feeding, also known as deep root fertilization, is a treatment that delivers nutrients directly to the root zone of a tree or shrub. If a tree is not properly nourished, the tree cannot flourish. In the worst case scenario, tree removal may be necessary. Give your shrubs and trees the nourishment they need to make them more beautiful every season.
Why Do Trees and Shrubs Need Deep Root Feedings?
- Deep root feeding is especially important in the city where there is no new source for nutrients.
- Deep root feedings are important in suburbs where leaves are removed that would normally compost and feed the roots of the tree.
- Deep root feeding in the spring will encourage tip and leaf growth and in the fall will help develop roots.
- Proper feeding of your ornamental trees and shrubs offers many benefits, including improved flowering, increased resistance to disease, and increased ability to ward off insect attacks.
- Tree illnesses can be prevented. In most cases, trees do not show signs of illness that the non-professional can recognize until it is too late.
- Deep root tree and shrub feeding promotes a healthy and beautiful landscape for year-round enjoyment and reduced maintenance.
Care For Your Trees and Shrubs
Your trees and shrubs are a growing investment that should increase in beauty and value with each passing season. Deep root feedings, scheduled on a regular basis, help to improve and protect your growing landscape investment. Contact Hagstrom and Sons Tree Service and make sure that your trees thrive.
A stump grinder or stump cutter is a power tool or equipment attachment that removes tree stumps by means of a rotating cutting disk that chips away the wood.
Stump grinders can be the size of a lawn mower or as large as truck. Most accomplish their task by means of a high-speed disk with teeth that grind the stump and roots into small chips.
A typical stump grinder incorporates a cutter wheel with fixed carbide teeth. The cutter wheel movements are controlled by hydraulic cylinders to push the cutter wheel teeth laterally through the stump and to raise and lower the cutter wheel.
Some Reasons To Remove Stumps
- Stumps aren't pretty.
- Stumps are hazardous.
- Stumps cause new tree growth.
- Stumps are a pain to maneuver around.
- Stumps attract insects.
- Stumps take up precious yard space
Here at Hagstrom and Sons Tree Service we have two different sizes of stump grinders that would allow of us get any size stump that you may have.
Call us today if you need a stump removed
Tree Diagnosis and Recommendations
At Hagstrom and Sons Tree Service we provide Tree Diagnosis and Recommendations to try and make every tree in Sonoma County healthy. We want to make Sonoma County a better place by catching and fixing any stress to trees before real damage happens.
Important Information about Diagnosis and Recommendations:
It is important to know what is causing your tree stress and what kind of problems your trees are having.
Trees are just like people when it comes to stress. Stress can cause a lot of damage or even kill the tree. In some cases, if the trees are stressed or if they have been wounded (a major cause of tree stress), they may be more susceptible to damage caused by insects and diseases.
Stresses in trees may be caused by natural factors and conditions or through the activities of man or animals. These factors may be chronic (recurring and lasting for a long time) or acute (immediate impact). Examples of chronic damage are wet soils caused by site selection, soil compaction or poor nutrition. Acute damage includes flooding, freezing conditions, severe construction damage and deer browsing.
With continued stresses, branches begin to die, and at the same time the root system of the tree is reduced because the crown is producing inadequate food for good root expansion and growth. These processed continue into a downward spiral, usually resulting in the continued decline and eventual death of the tree over a period of 2-15 years. In most cases, once the tree has tipped the balance of not providing sufficient carbohydrates for continued growth of the tree, it cannot recover.
At Hagstrom and Sons we like keeping trees alive and as healthy as possible but sometimes a tree needs to be removed. We can successfully and safely remove almost any tree.
Obvious reasons for tree removal
- The tree is dead
- Declining health--the branches or top of tree is dying back; large dead branches; decay on the main trunk.
- Major storm damage and the tree is beyond repair
- Tree is too close to the house or other buildings, utility lines, play structures pools etc...
- The tree is leaning towards and obvious target--house, driveway, patio, play area or pool.
- Its become a nuisance--dropping seeds, sap, branches, and block views, light and inhibiting lawn.
- Roots pose a serious threat to foundations, driveways and sidewalks, or underground utilities.
Not so obvious reasons to remove a tree
- Structural problems
- Bad crotches with included bark or repeated cracks
- Cracks on the main trunk or main leaders
- The tree is just too big for the location and poses challenges to safety if it falls or drops branches
- New construction--the tree will either be mortally damaged by equipment and disturbance to the ground under it, or is directly in the way of construction. Consider tree removal before the construction rather than after.
- Major diseases or insect infestations that will likely kill the tree soon, or spread disease to other trees.
- Interior decay
- Leaning in the wrong direction
- Crowding among trees--prioritize which trees are healthiest and worth keeping
Here are some other services that we offer we did not go into detail about:
Thinning & Shaping
Do you want to know how much your trees are worth?
We At Hagstrom and Sons Tree Service can provide you with a Tree Appraisal Report